Monday, September 8, 2008

Random Sampler

Today I feel like posting but I'm not sure what to post. So here is an assortment of recent thoughts and news items:
1. I wish I was an eloquent writer. My excuses for being a boring writer (I haven't taken a writing class since 2003! and I graduated from college two years ago! and I taught middle school for the last two years of my life, where the writing is anything but inspiring!) are moot, since many of the people whose writing I admire could make the same excuses. But I want to get better, and I'm excited for a forum to improve: Mommy Salon. Thanks to Alicia and Kristy for inviting me.
2. I cut my hair. It's really not much shorter or more layered than my last haircut, but this time I got bangs. Help! I haven't figured out how to style them yet. Mind you, these are "side bangs," the kind that are supposed to stay effortlessly swept to the side of your face. Any tips?
3. Cassie hit what I think was a growth spurt this weekend. I fed her every hour on Friday and nearly as much on Saturday. Crazy kid! I like her a lot.
4. Trevor and I got married around Christmas time, and as part of a gift basket for our wedding, someone gave us red and green Christmas-tree shaped pasta. I didn't make it after we got married, because, well, it wasn't Christmas season anymore. Then I forgot that it was sitting in our pantry. Months ago, Trevor pointed to it and accused me of being the kind of person that would only make Christmas pasta in December. Well, I WAS the kind of person that would only make Christmas pasta in December...until now! Trevor came home from a meeting on Saturday to find said pasta boiling on the stove. Eat that! (pun intended)

7 comments:

Kristy said...

Hurrah! I'm so glad you're joining us! I want to see pictures of the haircut.

Katie Houston said...

I want a haircut pic too!

Alicia said...

I'm excited that you're excited about Mommy Salon! And as far as being a boring writer, you've just disproved yourself. Good work. And cute blog. And hurray for Christmas pasta (easy for me to say...I would have had a hard time making it in September!)

heather said...

I totally agree with you on wanting to be a better writer. I like having a blog for that reason. It may not always (or even often) have good writing, but at least it keeps me organizing words and trying to communicate an idea. I'm in a great book club with my relief society and I'm hoping to make myself write little reviews of each of the books we read this year. We'll see if Anna cooperates with that goal :)

I'd love to see your new haircut! It's funny because I was just wondering the other day what I'd look like with sweepy bangs and if I'd be able to make them look cute.

Marie said...

That's cute about the random pasta! It's always fun to have surprises to spice up everyday life. I like how your blog now matches your wedding colors :)

Emily said...

Marie-
I'm impressed that you noticed the colors match our wedding...I actually did that on purpose because otherwise I knew I would take forever deciding on a new background. And haircut pics are coming, everyone. I just have to figure out how to style it cute first. :)

Joanna said...

Firstly, I love your blog background. And second, you need to post a picture of your new haircut! I can't wait to see it. My suggestion on the whole bang thing is to get a round brush and use it on your bangs when you blow dry. That seems to help my hair stay to the side.

Contributors