Monday, August 24, 2009

Mixed Feelings

With school starting again, I feel excited and disappointed at the same time. Here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
  • More people! This college town will be bustling again soon. There's a palpable energy that arrives every fall.
  • Cool weather! And mostly, the yellows and oranges and reds that come with it.
  • The beginning of Trevor's last year of school. *sigh of relief*
  • A less crowded library! Right now we're year-round library people. But when we have kids in public school, we'll probably end up being summer library people like everyone else. I was overwhelmed by the amount of people at the library the week after school let out this summer. And shocked at how few books were left on the shelves. And how l o n g the waiting lists became.
  • Good TV! Reruns get old. Mostly, I've missed The Office.
  • Events! I'm really excited for choir concerts, football games, musicals, art exhibits, intramural sports, comedy shows, dances, and all the other activities that are available during the school year.

Cons:
  • More people. At the grocery store, at restaurants, at Walmart and Blockbuster and Target and the mall, walking and biking and driving. More lines and crowds and traffic.
  • Cool weather. We'll be spending more time inside and less time playing ultimate frisbee and taking walks to campus and chatting with neighbors while the kids play. I'm truly worried about keeping wild little Cassie cooped up in our apartment on cold winter days.
  • Seeing less of Trevor. I've loved having Trevor home every day after work this summer. With all the homework he has during the school year, it never feels like he's really home when he's home.

It's crazy how much school affects me when I'm not even a student. Or a teacher. Here's hoping I'll discover even more pros this fall!

5 comments:

Camille said...

Yeah, I get what you mean...except mine is that my mom goes back to school since she teaches. :( Good luck this winter, it's hard when kids are little and have all sorts of energy but you can't really go out much.

Kristy said...

Ooh, you're making me miss Provo! Good luck, you two (three), on your LAST year! Hooray!

Suze B. Vinton said...

I am not looking forward to another school year, especially now that I have two to take care. We should have a play date sometime. . .

W said...

I know what you mean. And don't worry there are plenty more pros than cons. We miss BYU! And that's so exciting to start the final year! Good luck!

Andrea McEntire said...

I identify with your Office withdrawls. Mike and I are also trying to cope.

Contributors