Sunday, June 12, 2011

Happy Birthdays! Part One: Emily

Cassie and I both had great birthdays this year that weren't overshadowed by an upcoming move (last year- It's crazy to think we've lived here for a year!) or by the fact the Trevor was on the other side of the globe (two years ago- Trevor was on a study abroad in China).

No pictures of my birthday, but let me tell you how awesome it was. Wait...first, let me tell you how lame I am. Because we are house hunting and I am VERY anxious to get into a house, and because we've had some large, unexpected expenses come up, I really didn't want Trevor to spend money buying me a gift. Actually, all I wanted was a clean, tidy house. (It's hard when your stuff won't reasonably fit into a two-bedroom apartment. Did I mention I'm house hungry?) I had arranged to have my friend Shea babysit our kids so that Trevor and I could spend 3 hours tidying and cleaning our apartment when he came home from work. Awesome birthday plans, right? Well, on the morning of my birthday, I woke up a little later than usual and realized I needed to shower right away if I wanted to be out before Trevor left for work. I rushed into the bathroom and immediately noticed two things: 1. Trevor hadn't showered yet (the shower wasn't wet), and 2. It smelled like breakfast was cooking. My sweet husband was making me breakfast and it was going to make him late for work! Or so I thought. I was right about the breakfast part- I found Trev in the kitchen making muffins and eggs. Yum! But the late-for-work part? Trevor gave me the best birthday present ever: he stayed home! Basically, he gave me an extra Saturday for my birthday. :) The kids even slept in while we ate breakfast. It was a glorious day. We got all the cleaning and tidying done early and went out to eat in the evening while the kids were at Shea's. After the kids were in bed, I watched a chick flick and sent Trevor off to play basketball with his Elder's Quorum buddies. Because really, I'm happier when Trevor is happy, and he's definitely happier after a good game of basketball than he is after a good rom-com. Besides that, sometimes you want to just give into the silly romantic-ness of a chick flick without having your husband roll his eyes at you. :) It was an awesome birthday.

4 comments:

K-Krew said...

What a nice surprise! I should show this to Thom - I might not be surprised come my birthday but I bet I would still love it ;)

Good luck with the house hunting, it can be stressful.

Marie said...

That sounds like an excellent birthday! We both took an extra day off work for our anniversary last year, which although we were sick, was a great way to celebrate.

You'll have to keep us updated with the house hunting. It's always nice to learn from others' experiences!

Janene said...

I can totally relate to wanting gifts of time more than something to buy! That's awesome! I'm glad you got the house clean and enjoyed a good chick flick. Happy (late) birthday.

Katie Houston said...

I am the WORST. Happy birthday, dear Em!!

Contributors