Saturday, June 7, 2008

She's Here!!

Okay, first of all, this is Trevor, not Emily. Although I thought I'd never say this, I have to admit that blogging has its place in certain situations, like when babies are born. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the videos. You probably won't see much more of my work on here, but I thought I'd save Emily some time since she's rather busy feeding the baby and trying to get some rest. I'll have her update you with her feminine touch as soon as she has a little more time. Enjoy!
This is the last pregnant picture we have of Emily.We decided to get a few self-taken pics just before leaving for the hospital late Wednesday night.

Here's Em, anxiously waiting for the medicine to kick in and do its job. She was started on Pitocin (sp?) at about 12:30 am on June 5th. She was given the epidural (sp?...obviously I haven't read up on these big words) at about 5:30. She was thinking she'd wait and have them give it to her when she couldn't stand the pain anymore. I told her it sounded courageous, but kind of pointless. She listened and was very glad. Progress was pretty slow. The doctors were thinking she'd probably have to have a C-section, but after she hit about 4 cm, things accelerated. By 3:30, it was time to start pushing. Em pushed a total of 24 times (8 contractions over about 15 minutes) before the baby was all the way out. I couldn't hardly believe she had actually been in there or that she would fit through.

This picture was taken just moments after she popped out. Here are the stats:
Weight: 9 lbs 3 oz
Length: 21 in (on her way to the WNBA, I hope)
Name: Cassidy Taja Hawkes
Background on the name:
Cassidy: we just liked the sound of it. We had narrowed it down to either Cassidy or Jenna several months ago, but Em thought that seeing her would make the decision easier. When I saw her, the name I had in mind was "Raisinette" or maybe "Lumpkin." She's looking more like Cassidy now. We actually plan to call her "Cassie," but Em thought it would be nice to have a bigger name for more formal occasions, or if she ever becomes a cowgirl.
Taja: that's my little sister's name. Emily and I have all brothers except Taja, and we really liked the name (and my sister).
Here's Cassie getting cleaned up. She started to look normal after they wiped all the stuff off of her.
This is actually the second time they weighed her. The first time, it read 9 lbs 2.5 oz, so they rounded up to 9 lbs 3 oz. This is similar to the way I get A's in school (when I get A's in school).
The new dad!

This is my favorite. Em was soooo excited to see her new baby, as you can see.
Emily was crying because she was happy, not because she was in pain or anything. She keeps insisting that she really didn't feel much pain at all the whole time and is just grateful to have had such a positive experience. We have lots more pictures and a couple of videos, but I'll just put a few random ones on here that hopefully show you what she looks like.

This is the first time I really got to see her opening her eyes much. We can't tell what color they'll be yet.
We had several visitors come and see us from both of our families. Here is Emily describing the size of Cassie's head. (She's not that far off.)
Awww, a new little family. On Friday, Emily observed, "Hey, I just realized she's already sealed to us." That was neat to think about.
No, I wasn't faking it. Labor and delivery is rough on moms and dads.
And finally, here's Cassie in her car seat, getting calmed down for the ride home. We'll keep you posted with more pics soon.

21 comments:

Alicia said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations! Well done, Trev. You're a natural blogger :). And I know your nurse! Kendra. I can't wait to see Cassie in person.

Janelle said...

Congratulations Emily and Trevor! She is adorable! I wish that I was going to be in Utah any year soon so I could meet her (and you, Trevor) in person!

Shelly said...

Congratulations!!! She's adorable.

Sitton said...

She is a very cute big baby! Good job Emily:) Enjoy your little baby, they grow up so fast (I can't believe Summer is almost 5 months already!)

Camille said...

How fantastic! Congratulations, she is beautiful. Big babies are great, they're (typically) not as fussy...at least that's been my experience! I loved all the pictures and videos, it's a pretty powerful moment seeing that baby in person for the first time! Congrats again!

heather said...

Congratulations! Aren't you just so in love and so happy? Hooray for little girls!

Karen said...

Congratulations! She is Beautiful. My Emily was 9 lbs 4 oz. They say each kid gets bigger, but mine all got smaller. Have fun just being a mom. And enjoy the snuggle moments, they are my favorite.
Have a great day!
Karen Cropper Garcia-Young

Aubrey said...

Congratulations! She really is a beautiful baby! Our little girl was so swollen. Yay for little girls! I also love the name.

Joanna said...

Cute, beautiful baby. Congratulations! Jake and I want to stop by sometime, but we'll call before we do.

Calvin said...

Congratulations, this is Calvin (from Dixon) I loved the video, very nice. She is beautiful.

Mel said...

Congratulations! I am so glad that she FINALLY came!

Kristy said...

Oh...my...goodness. She is so so beautiful, so feminine and gorgeous. I can't WAIT to hold her! And you are the cutest little family I think I've ever seen. I'm loving your hair length, too, Emily. Great job blogging, Trevor!

W said...

Hooray!! I've been thinking about you and am so glad everything went well. Cassidy is beautiful! Great job. Let us know if you need anything.

K-Krew said...

Congratulations! The first thing Lucy said is "when can I see her?" and then "I like that bow." Lucy and Andrew are excited to have a new cousin. Glad they rounded up the weight...that extra half ounce counts for something :)

Katrina said...

This is Katrina, Jason Espinoza's wife. Since he isn't blogger friendly, I just wanted to tell you congratulations! Your baby is so sweet. I hope you enjoy the time with your daughter as she grows. If you want to read out blog email us at utahespinoza1@gmail.com

Suze B. Vinton said...

Congratulation, Let me know when it is ok for me to pass by as meet her, or if you need anything.

Jason and Rebecca said...

Congratulations Emily and Trevor! Very cute baby!

Unknown said...

Congratulations We can't wait to meet her!

Dianna said...

Congratulations Emily and Trevor! She is perfect and so pink! Kristy has big plans for Cassidy and Kimball - and so begins the mom matchmaking.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Congrats to both of you!! Trevor, way to hang in there with Emily!! I know labor would have been so much harder without Darrell there. Yay for husbands!

Katie Houston said...

I'm pretty positive that no other "just after the birth" pictures of a mother have ever looked quite like your little model shots! You go girl! And I love that little baby :-).

Contributors