Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hey! What's up?

I spent last Thursday in my old bedroom at my parents house cleaning out the closet. I found some gems (pictures, stuffed animals, books I wrote in 3rd grade, etc.) that I'm pretty glad I kept. Most notably, I found a shoe box stuffed full of notes written to me in junior high school. I just finished reading them and discovered a lot in the process:

"Hey! What's up?" is the right way to greet people.

I'm still friends with some of those people! We're all a lot more mature now, but some of the good qualities that were obvious in those notes are still obvious today. Andrea and Camille, most of the notes were from you. Okay, most of the notes were from Steve.... My favorite notes were from Kristy (must have been written sophomore year of high school, since we didn't attend the same junior high). She was so mature and level-headed.

We liked a different boy every other week, and usually liked more than one at a time. How confusing. Who, by the way, is "Adam?" Can't remember him for the life of me.

None of us were quite sure what we wanted. It was exciting to have the boy you liked like you back...but was it wrong to "go out?" And holding hands seemed like a good thing to do if you were "going out," except when you felt embarrassed because a teacher saw you or ashamed because you weren't sure what you were doing was right. From what I can tell in the notes, we all waffled back and forth a lot.

Note folding is an art.

I want my children to understand what truly brings us happiness: living righteously and selflessly.

Even after teaching middle school for two years, I don't know if texting has replaced note-writing. My students left their backpacks on the side of the room during choir, so there was no opportunity for writing notes. Plenty of opportunity for texting, though...

I wish I had kept a better journal back then. I want to remember what my thoughts and feelings were. Ten years from now, I'll probably feel the same way, so I need to be a more consistent journal writer. Any advice from you journal-keeping experts? (Kristy?)

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Heehee! Great post--I do love posts about ME. :)

I love the note lingo from back then. Whut [up arrow]? How RU? Kind of like texting.

Journaling: As for me, I do it because I love it. As with other things we "should" do, it helps to find a way to really love doing it. For me, I've realized that my thoughts are so much more ordered and tame after I write. That's my reward. I try and write most days about whatever it is I'm thinking, rather than recording the historic landmarks of our lives, because that's more fun for me. And, what do you know, the really important landmarks end up in there after all. Yay!

INVU4URAQT :) ;) XO

Camille said...

So funny! I found a similar box under my bed at my parent's house with notes from Jr. High. Marty doesn't understand why I'm not just throwing it out...how could I do that?!

I too am wondering who Adam was!

Shelly said...

I do have journals from back then and I want to burn them. Just like in another 10 years I might want to burn my current journal. it's nice to know some of the things I did, but some of it is embarrassing (okay lots of it).

So don't feel too bad. On the other hand, don't let it stop you from keeping a journal (don't let me stop you from following the prophet).

D said...

Maybe this is nerdy of me, but I think part of the future of journaling will be everything we do electronically. Facebook status, Twitter posts, Gmail statuses, archived emails, saved chats. Yeah, it'll be a pain to compile it all, but it definitely serves as a scrapbook of the past. Oh, and blogs too.

Stephen Arntz said...

Steve here. Yup, the Steve from the post. :)

I can't believe that you and Camille don't remember Adam. I can't remember his last name, but I can see his baby face in my minds eye now. He was the object of your affections and made each of us jealous. I'm sure he was good friends with Chad. Wow, what I'd give for the notes written around the time Chad and I fought over Camille.

I'm sure I have my box of notes in my closet at home in Kentucky, and I can't wait to go through them this Christmas. We all thought we had it so figured out.

Contributors