Thursday, June 25, 2009

Freezer Paper Stenciling

While we all anxiously await Trevor's post about China (he loves blogging), let me share with you about a super easy and satisfying craft.

Here's what you need:
freezer paper
x-acto knife
cardboard or cutting mat
a t-shirt (or bag or pillowcase or tablecloth...)
fabric paint
foam paint brush
a design
iron

Cut off a portion of freezer paper and place your design underneath it, so you can see your design through the freezer paper. The freezer paper should be wax-side down. Trace your design onto the freezer paper.
Use an x-acto knife to cut out your design in the freezer paper. Iron your freezer paper-stencil onto your t-shirt, again wax-side down, making sure every piece is securely stuck to the shirt.

Use fabric paint and a foam brush to fill in your stencil. Follow the instructions on the fabric paint for drying time.
Ta-da!
Now, I've never taken a class in technical writing, so those were probably the worst step-by-step instructions you've ever read. Good news, though! My good friend Kristy (who deserves all the credit for finding this craft) just blogged about it too, step-by-step instructions and all. I didn't read her post before writing this one, so it's pretty funny that there are some word-for-word similarities and the exact same pictures. :)

I highly recommend this craft. So fun and easy, and looks just like screen-printing!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Ta da! That is funny. Yup, we're friends all right.

Heidi said...

Oh my gosh! Alicia sat next to my roommate in Women's Chorus (maybe we were in it at the same time?) and I LOVED her! I see she's beautiful and pregnant. Yay. I love connections.

The t-shirts are TOO cute! I was just at Hobby Lobby today and I perused the fabric paint section. Looks like I'll have to take a closer look now. :)

Miss seeing you every week on Sunday. :( Holly had her baby! They got home from the hospital today. Though, you probably already know that from the noises through the wall. I moved my blog to a new address: tartlemonandvanilla.blogspot.com. Come visit!

Contributors