Monday, July 12, 2010

Catch up: Memorial Day Weekend


We spent Memorial Day Weekend in Oakley with Trevor's family (minus Blaine, Becky, and Eliza, who live far, far away) and had a great time. I am forever grateful for a mother-in-law who takes lots of pictures and makes me CDs because I always seem to forget my camera. Please ignore all the zits. My face has decided, without my consent, that I am 15 years old and therefore must go through the pimply stage that I fortunately missed out on when I was actually a teenager. So annoying.

We spent Saturday morning at the elementary school playing on the playground and hitting softballs. It was fun and a tad chilly.
We flew kites in the afternoon.
Cassie fed the goats with her Aunt Kim and cousin Savanah.
The ever-popular Aunt Taja entertained the kids on the tramp.
And when the boys left to play basketball...












We got busy. Let me 'splain. Trevor finished the classes for his Masters degree in April, and was spending the summer finishing a project required for his degree while working for an engineering company and looking for a full-time job. He found a great job and started working on May 24th. I had been looking forward to him participating in the whole graduation ceremony at BYU in August (he didn't walk when he got his bachelors), but I realized with his new job that he wouldn't yet be eligible to take time off for graduation...and also, Trev really didn't want to walk. I had also been looking into a big graduation gift for him, since we didn't do anything when he finished his undergrad. A few days before we went to Oakley for the weekend, I called Trevor's mom and asked what she thought about having a surprise graduation party for Trevor that weekend. (Then I wouldn't make him walk in August, and I could really surprise him with an awesome graduation gift.) On Friday, a few hours before we left for the weekend, I bought Trevor a Droid (he has always wanted a fancy-schmancy phone and often mentioned that someday, when we had lots of money, he really really wanted one). By the way, the store where I bought the phone almost ruined the surprise- they canceled service to Trevor's old phone even though I had specifically asked several times to make sure they didn't. When I figured out what they had done, I had to solve the problem and make up a cover story so Trevor wouldn't suspect anything. It was stressful. Anyway, I got the phone to Oakley successfully without Trevor noticing, and we prepared an awesome little surprise while the boys were out basketballing. We turned all the lights off and yelled "surprise" and everything!
Sweaty man. "Wait, who is this surprise for?"
And yes, I wrapped Trevor's Droid in multiple boxes to disorient him.

Okay, this was my first ever attempt at cake decorating. Good enough.
Drooling over the new toy.
On Monday morning, Trevor's dad saw a little yellow finch fly right into a window, so he picked up the bird and let the grandkids pet it for a while. It must have been too dazed to fly away, because it sat in his hand for a long time while we all admired it before it finally took off. He walked right through the house with it, we were all calling the kids to come see Grandpa's bird, and we took some pictures. Afterwords, I went inside and mentioned something about it to Trevor, who was playing with his new phone. I'm sure you already know the outcome of this story. "What bird?" Trev completely missed the entire thing, even with his dad walking right past him and all of us making a fuss. Yup. That's how much he loves his Droid. He's had it for over a month now and I've definitely considered hiding it from him on more than one occasion. However, it has been a lifesaver. The last post would be picture-less if it weren't for Trev's fancy phone (again, my camera forgetfulness), and many of our summer activities would be undocumented without it as well. It also saved us when we were internet-less for a few days after moving in, and when we had some problems with viruses.

Sunday before church
Cassie and cousin Aubrey. "Cheese!"
Just chillin'. Sunday evening.
The infamous finch
S'mores 'round the "campfire."
Grandma curled Cassie's hair on Monday. Bee-ootiful!
Just a cute picture of Cassie and Aunt Taja
Jumping
And I'm done. Whew. We've still got a lot of catching up to do, so stay tuned.

6 comments:

Marie said...

Very cool and sneaky about the surprise graduation party! My friend can't make it to graduation either because BYU won't let her change her scheduled final. If you want, we can snag an extra program with Trev's name on it :)

Emily said...

Marie, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Rachel said...

Hahaha such a great surprise. Jordan would love a cool phone but I told him he wasn't allowed to get one until he learns to prioritize (family before play:)). I know he wouldn't put the phone down ever if he had one!;) That is awesome you pulled that off. Jordan says to wish Trevor congrats!

Justin and Carissa said...

Can't tell you how happy it made me to see that you put "woot woot" on Trevor's cake!

Unknown said...

How fun! Cassie looks so cute and the first picture she looks so grown up to me.

Andrea McEntire said...

How fun! What a great idea to throw Trevor a surprise party. I like your layered hair in the pics Emily. And with regards to the Elmo cake, where do I begin? In jr. high, everyone in our group of friends decided to name themselves after Semsame Street characters and of course-you had to be Elmo. It fit so perfectly for you and I think it's really the only one that stuck.

Contributors