Sunday, July 4, 2010

Catch up: Birthdays

I've been a little too busy to blog with our move and summer festivities (more about these soon!) and virus problems (grrrrrrr) but I'm ready to catch up now. Let's start from the very beginning, a very good place to start.

Cassie and I celebrated our birthdays at the beginning of June. We had a picnic with my family on Cassie's birthday, complete with an Elmo cake. You know me, I'm a big Elmo fan. Actually, if anyone leaves a comment about why an Elmo cake really would be appropriate for me, I'll give you bonus points! (I think only those who knew me in Jr. High will know that.) But honestly, the Elmo cake was for the real Elmo fan in our house- Cassie. She still talks about it, even though it was a pretty badly done first-attempt on my part.


Cassie was pretty anxious to put her new presents to use right away. Observe:



The weather was perfect and it was nice to just be with family and enjoy good food. And I got some pretty awesome gifts, too. :) Honestly, I was pretty preoccupied with Cassie's birthday and didn't really think about mine as much. I can probably count on that happening for the rest of my life.

For those of you wondering, Cassie did not receive a dinosaur or a frog for her birthday...but she did get some water. We had some friends from the ward over for a little pool party a few days after her birthday, and the kids had a lot of fun. There are a lot of 2-year-old girls around Cassie's age in that ward- I sure miss that.

We moms had fun, too. :) I sure miss the quad 1 camp-chair mom posse.
Also, I just wanted to record some feelings that I had on my birthday. I taught some piano lessons, packed boxes, did the usual daily chores, and no one really knew it was my birthday. At first I thought it would make me sad to go without attention or a celebration, but it made me think about what really makes me happy. In the past I've wanted to be selfish and lazy and eat lots of junk food on my birthday (aka attention on me, let me relax, cake and ice cream), but of course those things don't make me happy. While I was driving home from teaching piano lessons with Cassie in the back seat, I had a really peaceful moment where I realized that the things I was doing bring me real happiness and satisfaction. That was a good birthday gift.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

That is an adorable Elmo cake, great job!!

As for your own birthday, I've done that too, but I've found I prefer fun with friends. Since Mom isn't around to do it anymore, I usually invite friends over for a brunch. Trust me, it's more fun.

K-Krew said...

Lucy and Andrew loved seeing the Elmo cake! "I betcha that cake was REALLY yummy. I wish I had some of that Elmo cake :)"

It turned out really cute!

Cassie is getting so big. Loved the video!

Marie said...

I think the cake looks great!

I didn't realize your birthday was so close to Cassie's. Happy belated birthday!

Kevin said...

I can't believe the bonus points have not yet been claimed! An Elmo cake is appropriate for you because "Elmo" used to be your nickname. And I'm pretty sure that's what I still call you.

Kristy Lynne said...

I love the Elmo cake! It looks good enough to eat. Happy Birthday Elmo!

Emily said...

Good work, Special K! These 15 bonus points are all yours.

Contributors