Monday, July 19, 2010

The move

This post will probably be more interesting to me than to you- it's more for journaling/recording purposes.

Almost a year ago, I started thinking about our upcoming move (I knew it would happen sometime during summer 2010) and started to collect boxes and deep clean our apartment a little. I really dug in with the cleaning in April when I knew we were getting closer (no definite plans yet). I wanted to spread out the packing process, so from the time we knew we were moving (May 19) to the day we moved (June 12), I packed a few boxes every day. It was really nice to take it slowly- the only days I felt a little overwhelmed were the day before the move and the day of the move. (That's to be expected, right?) But we had planned ahead far enough and had so many things done early that we were able to go to the ward camp-out for dinner the night before we moved. It was awesome to relax a little and see our friends from the ward before we left.
June 12, our moving day, was super rainy. The trees outside our apartment had dropped crumbly little seedling (?) things and because of the rain they were sticking to everyone's shoes and tracking all over the apartment and the truck. I swept the sidewalk from our stairwell to the truck and I think it helped a little. We had SO many people from our ward help us with the move and cleaning! I don't know how we would have done it without help. Someone even babysat Cassie all morning. I am so glad that we moved on a Saturday when people were available to help, and I'm so glad our ward got so involved in helping people move.
After the truck was loaded, Trevor drove it to our new apartment, where he had arranged with the Elder's Quorum president there to have some people help with unloading. 12 guys showed up! They finished so fast, my brother and dad (who were on the way to help) got there after everything was already in the apartment. They stayed around, set up our bed, and unpacked a whole bunch of boxes for us while Trevor came back to Provo to return the truck and help me with last minute cleaning things. I had been cleaning with sisters from our ward who came to help. They were amazing. Really, it makes me wonder how anyone can move without having help. So many people helped us with our move, and I hope they all know how much we appreciate the things they did.
Anyway, thanks to all the amazing help we had, we were out of our apartment by 5 pm. And thanks to my dad and brother, we had a bed to sleep in when we got to our new place! We've been here for a little over a month now, and it feels and looks like home. Still on our to-do list: hang pictures in the master bedroom, buy a real kitchen table and chairs (still rockin' the card table), and buy matching nightstands and a dresser.
Things we love about our new place: More space! (twice the square footage, an actual dining area, two bathrooms, bigger bedrooms), dishwasher, washer and dryer, sliding glass door to balcony- lets in lots of light, we're right next to a playground, feels rural but we're close to shopping areas.
Here's a little photo-tour of the apartment:

10 comments:

Leslee said...

Looks good! Moving is so hard, I am glad you had lots of help!

Marie said...

I'm glad your move went so well! I'm still pretty intimidated by what ours could look like next year. Hopefully we'll have a fair amount of notice so we're not packing everything all at once!

Joanna said...

Looks nice, Emily. Moving is always such a pain, but it's nice getting settled in at a new place.

Kristy said...

It's so cute! I love it!

Justin and Carissa said...

Your new apartment looks awesome and you have it decorated beautifully!

Janene said...

I like the pictures of your new place! And, I have the same style kitchen cabinets.

K-Krew said...

The new place looks great. I'm glad we got to see photos in case we're not able to see it in-person.

And just one question: how do you get Cassie not to pull everything off your bookshelf?

Suze said...

Love your apartment, especially Cassie's room! Everything looks really nice !

Cynthia and Bryan said...

Cute ! All I want to know is how in the world did you decorate with out the luxury of cinderblock :) Glad things are going so great !

CK said...

Wow! Your house looks fantastic! That's awesome Emily!

Contributors