Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Last Hurrah of Summer

The last week of August was bliss! It felt like a vacation to me, even though the furthest we traveled was to my parents' house (40 minutes away). My brother Thom and his family arrived late on a Wednesday evening and stayed the night at my parents' house. I gave them Thursday to recover, then went over to my parents' house on Friday morning, feeling really anxious to see everyone again/for the first time. The last time Thom and Sarah were here during Thanksgiving of 2008, Sarah was pregnant with their youngest (we'll call him J), so I hadn't met him yet. Things have definitely changed since 2008. Cassie and L (the oldest- turning 6 this week) just adored each other and loved playing together- I guess girls just have a connection. A is probably the sweetest little boy in the universe. He called me a princess, always wanted to hold my hand and kept requesting to sit by Aunt Emily during meals. He wasn't as impressed with Trevor, or as he called him, "Uncle Man."

Thanksgiving 2008:
August 2010:

I think my parents were in heaven.

Although, Dad got a little tired when they babysat while Thom and Sarah went on an overnight date.
On Friday evening, we had a birthday party for L and A, complete with horse pinata (for A), princess cake (for L), and presents! My mom even got a small gift for Cassie so she wouldn't feel left out of the festivities.
Saturday was the main event: adorable baby Lexi was sealed to her adoptive parents, my brother Vaughn and his wife Christie. I really can't describe how joyous I felt to be there. I just kept thinking about how precious our children are to us and what a blessing and joy and privilege it is to be a mother, especially knowing my children are sealed to me. (I can say "children" now, right? Because I've felt the one in my tummy, and he/she is definitely alive. So "children" it is.)
Then on Sunday, Vaughn blessed Lexi (again, a very sweet experience) and we had a big family picnic afterward. We got a picture of everyone together, minus Lexi, who was taking a much-needed nap. And the picture is horrible, but we're all together! And don't worry, we had a professional take pictures of us later in the week.
On Monday we went to downtown Salt Lake and took the kids to a children's exhibit at the Church History Museum. It was fun and FREE. The highlight for A was riding on the "train" (Trax). Can I mention again how sweet he is? He got a stuffed horse for his birthday and named it "Baby Lexi."


On Tuesday we went to the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point and had a little picnic outside. And there were big rocks near our picnic table, so of course the kids had fun climbing and jumping.

Tuesday night was our family photos, and the genius photographer bribed the kids into cooperating with the promise of candy at the end. It worked!

L and Cassie, the best of friends.

Cassie rode in J's car seat with L and A wherever we went, so J always rode in Cassie's car seat in our car. He didn't seem to mind, and L, A, and Cassie always insisted they be together. Cassie adored playing with her cousins and still talks about them.

2 comments:

Andrea McEntire said...

Wow Emily, your family has really grown! I'm so happy that you are pregnant with #2, that's great! Congratulations! Congrats to Vaughn and Christie on their sealing. That's so nice that you got to take part in that special event.

Jordan and Rachel said...

Congratulations to you guys on baby #2. That is so fun that we are so close to the same time and having the same thing. We are so excited for you guys.

Contributors