Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Summer Adventures

Lots of pictures and not too many words. I had to get caught up somehow!
We spent the 4th of July in Centerville with my parents. We went all out and participated in most of the festivities this year: a magic show, jazz concert and fireworks in the park (Cassie's favorite part was the chocolate-covered frozen banana we bought her), then breakfast in the park the next morning (during a fiddling show by my mom's violin students) and the parade. It was cold in the morning!
But not in the afternoon...

We took advantage of the Monday work-holiday (since the 4th was a Sunday) and went to the zoo. Cassie liked the giraffes. (Giraffe is the word that lost me the 6th grade spelling bee. Never again.)
On Pioneer Day (you know, the 24th of July), we went to Oakley to be with Trev's family (I think this will be a yearly family reunion). We always have fun when Trevor's family is together, especially on the 24th.
Trevor talked me out of going camping in August and instead we stayed in a hotel and went to Arches National Park (a.k.a. HOT). The weekend we chose was perfect- all national parks were free! But like I said, it was pretty toasty. Good thing we brought lots of water.

We wore Cassie out.

We met our parents in Provo at the end of August to celebrate Trevor's graduation. We were a week late for the actual graduation ceremonies, so we made up our own: dinner at Carrabba's. (Cap and gown courtesy of my mom, who had to buy hers when she finished her degree a few years ago. Who knew it would come in handy again?)
Ah, classic.
I had been waiting for the end of August all summer! My brother Thom and his family flew in from Pennsylvania to be here for a very special occasion. My brother Vaughn and his wife Christie were sealed to their adopted baby girl, Alexis. This deserves it's own post, so you'll just have to wait!

My parents were feeling grandchild-withdrawals after Thom's family left, so we were happy to oblige them by joining them on a Labor Day picnic and hike.
Other items of note:
New table and chairs! $160 on Craiglist. As Cassie would say, "Oh yeah, baby."

Cassie is potty trained! It was quick and almost entirely painless. She was definitely ready. No more diapers! At least, not for the next 6 months.

14 comments:

Marie said...

That chocolate banana looks really tasty! August is probably one of the worst times to hit Arches, but it doesn't look like you guys got burned like I would have :) Way to go on table & chairs! I'm kind of excited for when we'll have a new place to decorate. By the way, the whole diaper thing was a pretty subtle way to make an announcement ;)

Janelle said...

Aaaaaahhhh! Congrats, you sly dog, you! So excited for you guys!

And the table and chairs are nice, too. :)

Kristy said...

Tee hee! So excited! And I love your table and chairs!

Amy said...

I agree about the subtle announcement. I was just going to ask about that myself if it was an announcement. Hope you are feeling well and congratulations.

jess said...

congrats on the diapers...both being finished and for more to come. so when does that put your due date? that is SO exciting!!

Suze said...

Great way to announce this!!! Congratulation!

Lisa C said...

You and Kristy and your subtle announcements! Congrats! I'm glad I read the whole post!

K-Krew said...

The table and chairs look great! Wish we were closer so Cassie could play with Lucy and Andrew (and J :) and you could rest.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on all summer adventures!!!

heather said...

AAAAAAH! Congratulations! Here's a big virtual hug headed your way! :)

Camille said...

Sounds like an awesome summer! And YEAH for diapers...or at least the bum they cover!

Marinda said...

Oh how fun! You were so subtle about it that I had to scroll bag through your blog to make sure I hadn't missed a more grand announcement! Congratulations. And love the pictures of Cassie. The first one on that post I thought, who is this grown up girl? It must be because she is going to be a big sister! Good luck.

Leah said...

I bet Cassie is so excited!! That's awesome! Congratulations!!

Justin and Carissa said...

Cassie is looking so big. And I will add my congratulations to the rest!! That is super exciting. I saw Heidi's little baby the other day and he is super cute. Sounds you like you must not be feeling too bad if you were still able to go on all of those fun adventures!! Yeah for summer. Are you loving that just because it's September, you're husband's evenings aren't consumed with homework? Yahoo for graduation. Congrats to Trevor on that.

Contributors