Friday, June 8, 2012

Blast from the Past

My birthday this year was epic.  But to the uninformed observer, it probably sounds terribly awkward: I met up with some girl friends from high school and went to my ex-boyfriend's band's concert.  So let me 'splain.  Two of my friends from high school, Brooke and Max, are married to each other.  They are super cool people and are currently living in Morocco.  Since both of their families and many of their friends live here, they flew out for a few weeks to visit.  They planned a big party/jam session/concert at a park and invited friends and family to come watch and/or perform.  In high school, Max was in a band with three other close friends, one of whom I dated my senior year, and they got together to perform again for the first time in 10 years at said shindig.  Kristy (oh, just my BFF since we were 14) and I decided from the moment that this party was announced, and especially since it was on my birthday, that we were making a girls' night of it.  We were sort of Uncalled 4 groupies back in the day.  (Did I mention the band's name is Uncalled 4?  Yup.  It is.)  Then, the best thing happened: our friend Marinda, who was planning on flying out for our 10-year reunion later in the summer, decided instead to fly out for the party so she could see Brooke and Max (and a bunch of other HS friends).  As you can imagine, we had so. much. fun.

We met up for dinner before the show and had a great time catching up.  All my life, I have seriously lucked out when it comes to friends.  How do I end up hanging out with the kindest, smartest, best looking people around?  Kristy and Marinda were amazing people ten years ago, and they are such amazing women now.  I am astounded at the things they accomplish, and they are both so knowledgeable and principled and inspiring!

Greg, Rob, and Cameron.  I was so happy to see everyone that my face hurt from smiling after about an hour.

 Kristy!

Blory Fleate!  Ahem, I mean Cory Keate, Marinda, Cameron, and Kristy.

Kyle, Cory, Marinda, Cameron, Kristy, Emily, Brooke, Max, Rob, and Greg.  And Cameron's baby.  I laughed SO hard, partly because the guys were so funny, and mostly because they joked exactly the same way they did in high school.  The banter when the band was on stage was hiLARious.

Here they are tuning and warming up.  They did amazingly well, especially for the short amount of time they had to practice, not to mention that they haven't been playing together for the last ten years.  The music brought back so many fun memories of hanging out together in high school.  I remembered almost all of the words to their original songs and lost my voice singing along to those and their Weezer and Guster covers.  What high school flashback would be complete without "Island in the Sun?"  We formed a three-woman mosh pit for that one. :)
Good times!  This is one birthday I will not forget.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds like a great time! Dan and I lucked out that we both know so many of the same people from high school. We get to hang out with them a lot more often that way :)

Marinda said...

Well said! Will you send me the last pic of us three and the one with Cory, me, Cam and Kristy!

Thanks!

Kristy said...

Loved it! YOU are amazing! And ditto to what Mar said--will you send me those same ones?

Kristy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Contributors